(NC) I've sold and rented more than my fair share of real estate over my career. To get the most from my investments, I've come to know what works and what doesn't. While a lot of variables can influence a property's potential, one of the biggest is wow factor. How your home or rental suite shows to perspective buyers or renters is hugely important, because you really want them to make an emotional connection with your property.
Here's a few surefire ways to make sure that happens:
1. Make it modern. Nothing kills a property's potential faster than the feeling that it's tired or dated. But, it doesn't always take a full-scale renovation to achieve a transformation. A fresh coat of paint on walls or cabinets, a new countertop, revitalized flooring, new hardware or cabinet pulls and good lighting can all take a space from boring to brilliant.
2. Make it shine. A clean home or income suite suggests to prospective buyers or renters that it's well maintained, creating all important peace of mind. Before the property goes to market, vacuum, dust, wash floors and baseboards, clean all surfaces, including inside closets and cupboards (you'll be amazed where people look). For fast removal of dirt or stains on carpet and upholstery, use a spot cleaning appliance like the Hoover Spotless Portable Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. It's fast, easy to use, and unlike other models, it includes a self-cleaning option for the hose to prevent grime and odours from building up inside the unit.
3. Give it curb appeal. Cut the lawn, power wash the driveway and walkways, pull weeds, plant flowers, and trim trees and shrubs. Stage outdoor areas to appear as an extension of indoor living spaces, so buyers or renters can picture themselves relaxing or entertaining there.
4. Keep it open. Another deal-killer is clutter. It's hard to get a sense of the space or to picture yourself living there if you can't get past all the stuff as you walk into a room. When staging, remove bulky furniture and personal possessions. Let as much natural light in as possible. Open, airy and bright spaces are definitely more sought-after.
5. Tell a story. Set your table so buyers can imagine the perfect dinner after a long day at work or stage the bath like a dream home spa. The idea is to make your home or space feel like it could provide the lifestyle they're aspiring towards.